Article I : Purpose The purpose of the Women’s Graduate Association of Aeronautics and Astronautics is to represent and support the women in Aero/Astro. The group will:
- Build community among graduate women
- Facilitate communication between the department and the graduate women body
- Build a relationship between women faculty and graduate women
- Provide academic and social support
- Collaborate with the department to encourage undergraduate women to explore the AeroAstro Graduate program.
- Forge lasting friendships
Article II : Membership
- Any member of the MIT community is eligible to become a member of this organization. One is considered a member of this organization in any given academic term if she has attended at least one club activity and one meeting in the preceding or current term.
- The membership of this organization will at all times contain at least 5 MIT students and be more than half MIT students.
- This organization will not discriminate based on any characteristic listed in MIT's Non-discrimination Statement.
- If this organization charges any monetary dues, there will be exceptions made for students that cannot afford these dues.
Article III : Officers
- This organization will have at least two officers:
- The president shall be the official representative of the group to any other organization and to MIT.
- The president will preside over all meetings.
- The president is responsible for determining when meetings are and publicizing this to the group.
- The president may appoint additional executive officers to assist with achieving group goals.
- The treasurer shall be responsible for the finances of the group.
- The treasurer is required to sign all checks/vouchers of the group.
- All officers of this organization must be distinct persons and MIT students.
- Elections of officers shall occur in September of every year.
- Any member of this organization is eligible to run for office.
- Quorum for elections is one half of the group.
- Any member is elected if she wins a majority of the voting members.
- If more than two people are running and no one wins a majority, then the person with the fewest votes is dropped from the ballot and votes are recast.
- The term of office runs from September until the September of the following year.
- Removal : Officers may be removed by a one half vote of the members.
Article IV : Meetings
- Meetings shall be held at least every 2 months.
- Meetings shall be presided over by the president, unless she is absent, and in that case the Treasurer shall preside.
- All decisions shall be made by a majority vote of all members present.
- Quorum for a meeting shall be one quarter of the members of the organization.
Article V : Amendments
- Amendments shall be presented by any member of the organization.
- Amendments shall be passed by a two-thirds vote of the members present.
- Quorum for amending this constitution shall be one third of all members of the organization.
Article VI : ASA Governance Clause
The Women’s Graduate Association of Aeronautics and Astronautics agrees to abide by the rules and regulations of the Association of Student Activities and its executive board. This constitution, amendments to it, and the by-laws of this organization shall be subject to review by the ASA Executive Board to insure that they are in accordance with the aforementioned rules and regulations.